Monday, May 2, 2011

A little closer to home: SOE accounts vunerable as well?

This is a bit disturbing. Apparently the data breach in the Playstation Network last week may have also affected SOE in general, or at least led to the discovery of a vulnerability in their network. I'm not at home, and so I can't attempt to log in to my EQ2x account. However, according to the BBC DC Universe Online at least has been taken down in connection with their investigation of the data breach.

Edit: as Sente points out, from their statement this sounds like more of a precautionary measure than a real breach. Quoting from the message linked above:

"In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today."

Hopefully they can close whatever gap they found quickly.

Edit [update 2]: no, actually there was an attack and some account information likely was stolen. From the website:

We had previously believed that SOE customer data had not been obtained in the cyber-attacks on the company, but on May 1st we concluded that SOE account information may have been stolen and we are notifying you as soon as possible.

Hit their website for more details. Now I'm trying to remember if the passwords I would have used in 2007 match anything I currently play. I'm pretty sure not, but I plan to change my EQ2X password as soon as I can.



4 comments:

  1. It sounds more like they have done a security audit and seen that either they have the same vulnerabilities as PSN or that compromised info from the PSN breach could be used to obtain SOE/Station account data.

    I.e. they have not detected any intrusion yet, but are not taking any chances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sente: hopefully that's the case, that would be consistent with everything I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, looking at the updates on Massively it seems there has been additional attacks and that SOE/Station data has been compromised :(

    Good at least that they seem to be doing a bit better job now of informing people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is all very disturbing. Thus far I've been viewing this whole thing with interest, but in a detached sort of way since I barely have anything to do with the PSN. But these effects are starting to hit a little too close to home.

    ReplyDelete